If there is anything I am really passionate about, it is my skin and taking care of it! As a natural redhead, I have pale, sensitive skin that needs extra TLC. Unfortunately, when I was in high school & college I didn’t have those same thoughts. My goal was getting as tan as possible (shockingly, I can get a lot of color for a redhead…), whether it was laying on the beach for hours, covered in oil by the pool, or in the tanning bed (not a proud moment and never happening again!)
Now, I’ve grown up and realized my health is more important than having a darker glow. Mario Badescu, Josie Maren, and St. Tropez are my favorites for getting my skin in shape, and just how I like it! Mario Badescu is fresh and soothing for my sensitive skin but gets the job done! I see an improvement with every use! After washing my face, I can feel pretty dry due to my sensitivity, that’s where Josie Maren comes in. I love love love her Light Argon Oil! I put it all over my face before I go to bed, and mix it with a matte foundation during the day! It gives me a natural dewy look that is perfect for Spring & Summer!
To finish it off, since we are getting back into those pool and beach days, if the rain ever stops, I still like to have a nice glow! Usually 1-2 times a month I will go get a spray tan as it looks more even and it doesn’t rub off on my clothes. Then I will use the St. Tropez Bronzing Mouse between visits to keep up the color. It has a natural, brown hue, instead of the orange tint like most and it goes on easy with the mit!
| Photo by Anthro_Charlottesville on Instagram|
Recently I have been getting a bunch of inquiries about how I get my hair so thick and voluminous. Now I have to say, my DNA is a big factor! I have extremely thick, naturally curly hair so that really helps with all that volume (Thanks Mom + Dad!). However there are some products I’ve found that help keep my hair super healthy and strong so I can play with new hairstyles and make them bigger/thicker than the ones before!
1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6
1. Lets start from the beginning! The shampoo + conditioner that I am a die hard for is Clear Haircare. It really helps to nourish the my scalp and make my hair strong from the root, and that also helps to give it more lift!
2. To help keep any frizz away without weighing my hair down, I use Josie Maran Argon Oil. Y’all know that this is one of my favorite beauty products, I use it for everything. It smooths and gives a really beautiful shine!
3. Before I dry my hair, I like to use a primer. Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Express Primer is the best in my opinion. Within the last few months, I been trying to stay away from my flat iron and this product has really helped! It allows me to blow dry my hair straight giving the perfect blowout without touching the flat iron! And since I’m now straightening my hair, my wand curls are more defined and last much longer!
4. Speaking of hair dryers, my Conair Infiniti Pro (this is a similar one as mine is sold out) is one of the best I’ve ever used! I’ve purchased some pretty expensive hair dryers in my time but a majority of them have really damaged my hair. This one was only $45 and it cut my dry time in half, which means less time under the heat, + that means less breakage!
5. To help give my braids more texture and depth, I use the Kenra Platinum Texture Spray 6. It not only gives more shape and thickness to my braids, but it also helps with hold when I pull them apart!
6. Anther Kenra Product I love is the Fast-Dry Hairspray 8. I don’t like using a ton of hairspray because I think it makes my hair too stiff + dries my hair out, but this stuff is gold!
If you know anything about me, you know that I have a love affair with my hair! I have this strange need to keep it long for all time! My sisters are always telling me that I should cut it just once to see how I like it and I refuse every time! I just love having long, flowing hair! I love all the things I can do with it and it honestly just makes me feel super girly!
And since I love my long hair so so so much, I’ve decided to share with you all how I keep it this way! All the tips & tricks of how I keep it long and strong without adding in any extra extensions.
Dress: Windsor Store // Bangles: Alex and Ani // Sunglasses: Nordstrom
- Do Not Wash Your Hair Everyday! This might gross you all out, but I try to only wash my hair once every 5 days (sometimes longer if I can stretch it)! Mainly because I’m lazy and don’t feel like styling it, but also because it is super damaging to strip all those essential oils from your hair every day. Now please understand, you do still need to shower everyday, just remember to throw your hair up first!
- Don’t Style Your Hair Everyday! On average, I only really style my hair twice a week… unless I have a random event to go to that requires a little more effort! Usually the day I shower is the day I get all my styling in (blow drying, straightening, curling, etc.) Second day hair is usually just a touch up day since my hair is a little bit dirtier and has more hold to make the style last the rest of the week. For the remaining days I go between braids, buns, and low updos!
- Take Your Vitamins! When it comes to vitamins, I pretty much over dose on Biotin and Vitamin E! Using them on their own doesn’t really do much for me, but combining them makes all the difference in the world! My hair is shinier, healthier, and longer within a couple weeks! MAGIC!
- Use A Leave-In Conditioner! This is necessary to help keep moisture at the ends of your hair for less breakage. Remember, if your hair is constantly breaking off at the end, then your hair isn’t really growing! I use the WEN brand because it smells amazing and really just locks moisture in! (Shout out to my Auntie Nancy for my obsession!)
- Drink That H2O! I’m talking chug it all day long! I like to think of my hair like a chia pet. When you water it, it will grow! Also, drinking water makes everything look better so you should be doing this already anyways!
- Do A Hair Treatment! I like to think of it as a detox or spa day for your hair! Once a week I like to warm olive oil and lemon juice and rub it into my hair from root to tip! Sometimes I will just do coconut oil because that does wonders as well. I usually do this about 2 hours before I get in the shower. It’s almost acts as a hair mask, replacing any oils you may have lost and giving your hair back its shine.
- Massage That Scalp! This is usually a job I save for my boyfriend. A lovely head rub for a bonding session. But even when he isn’t around, I like to massage my scalp to get everyone moving. Not only is it relaxing, but it promotes hair growth while also healing any headaches you may have from that super chic top not you were rocking earlier in the day!
- Air Drying! Allow your hair to air dry as much as possible. I usually like to let my hair air dry more than half way before I break out the blow dryer. Of course we won’t always have time to do this (my hair takes about 28 hours to dry completely, annoying) but just try to do it as long as possible. That way you won’t have to use as much heat on those delicate strands of yours.
- Don’t Dye! Dying your hair is damaging and can cause breakage if it isn’t done correctly! Luckily, I have never had to dye my hair since I was born with such a unique color that I have grown to love with a passion. So if you have the ability to not dye your hair, then don’t! Embrace the color God intended you to have. And if you are at that point in your life where you need to start hiding that not so desired color (event though I feel like people are dying their hair gray these days… weird) just make sure to go to a pro who knows what they are doing!
- Get A Trim! Speaking of pros, get regular trims! If you have a regular stylist, they should know that you are trying to grow out your hair and they will trim what they feel is necessary. If you are like me, you will probably threaten your hairdresser to not cut more than a centimeter off or else she will regret it…. But any who, a trim is definitely needed to make sure your hair doesn’t just grow long, but looks healthy on the journey!